Decoupage is a craft technique of attaching paper decorations to a hard surface area with adhesive. By taking a look at a finished task, you would certainly believe this craft technique would certainly be made complex, but it isn’t. Decoupage started in France in the 17th century as the pauper’s option to painted furniture. It is really fairly straightforward. If you can cut as well as paste, you already understand the majority of the techniques involved.
To get started with decoupage, you removed images and also glue them onto an object. The next step is to cover the object and also images with a few layers of adhesive or decoupage tool to secure it. You possibly have whatever you need to make your job existing around your house now. Gather your products as well as start crafting.
Decoupage tool is an all-in-one sealer, glue, and surface utilized for developing decoupaged works of art. Use it on wood, material as well as other porous surface areas. It dries clear as well as holds your glued-on paper cuts limited.
Products You Need
Similar to any craft task you make, you need to always read the directions first. Make a list of supplies that you need to acquire, although you might already have numerous of the products already in your house.
– Determine what object you want to decorate with decoupage. You can add pictures to nearly anything: furnishings, picture cds, shelving, structures, boxes, vases, mirrors, hardcover publications, trays, suitcases, recipes, candles, cans, bottles, egg containers, rocks, and also a lot more.
– Find an image source. The alternatives are unlimited: remove photos, motifs, or shapes from covering paper, wallpaper, textile, paper napkins, greeting cards, postcards, pictures, travel sales brochures, handbills, programs, yard seed bundles, web pages from old publications, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, ribbon, posters, dried out blossoms, cells paper, and a lot more. You can additionally get paper and images made specifically for decoupage. You can copy clip art, images, stories, poems, and various other products published from your computer, with special considerations for images printed utilizing an inkjet printer.
– Choose what decoupage medium to utilize. You can buy an item made specifically for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collage Pauge. You need to have at the very least among those in your craft cabinet, but in a pinch, a little watered down white glue will certainly do.
The products above are the crucial products you need, but there are a couple of various other items you might discover useful to make use of in your decoupage trip:
– Bone folder: You can utilize this to aid smooth out creases as well as eliminate excess adhesive. You can additionally buy a device made especially for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Utilize this to spread the decoupage tool or glue onto the thing you will certainly decoupage. If you do not have a foam brush, you can utilize a common paintbrush or even a cotton swab.
– Scissors: Utilize to cut out the pictures and also various other products you will be decoupaging. To assist with reducing attractive paper with a great deal of small details, you could wish to utilize scissors with smalls blades or an utility blade.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are in some cases an excellent help when it involves positioning tiny photos.
– Wet cloth: Maintain one nearby to clean up excess glue and to assist with various other tidy up. Ensure the rag is damp as well as not saturating wet when utilizing it to get rid of excess decoupage tool from your glued documents. A moist rag likewise helps to keep your hands tidy while dealing with glue.
Getting going With Your Job
When you’ve gathered every one of your materials, you can begin on your task by adhering to together with these very easy instructions.
See to it the thing you’re decoupaging is tidy, getting rid of any type of dirt or dirt. It has to additionally be completely dry. If you’re going to repaint your product first, the paint should be completely dry prior to you start decoupaging (no tackiness). This example utilized spray paint with an added-in guide to repaint a wood tray. Make sure the paint you use is appropriate for the things you mean to decoupage.
Eliminate the pictures you are mosting likely to use. It assists to utilize an X-Acto knife to eliminate the paper pieces that have quite a bit of complex information.
Prior to you add adhesive, arrange the pictures onto the item you are decoupaging up until you like the method they look. The pictures can be in any placement you like and also can also overlap.
Working in a tiny section each time, remove the pictures and also apply a generous layer of decoupage tool onto the thing you are decoupaging. Make certain you entirely cover any kind of area the picture will touch. If you prefer, you can spread out the medium onto the back of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage tool. Use your finger to carefully lower the picture (for a large image, begin with the facility as well as function your way out) as well as push out any kind of creases and also excess medium. You can additionally use a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last two actions till every one of your pictures are glued on.
Let the decoupage tool dry. If you are making use of pictures on thicker paper, such as images or welcoming cards, they can take longer to completely dry.
Expect bubbles as your photos dry. If one forms, make use of a pin or energy blade to pop it and after that use your fingers to smooth it down.
When the tool is dry, coat your item extensively with one more layer of the decoupage tool. Let this completely dry.
Remain to add layers of the tool until you get the desired outcomes. You will certainly intend to maintain including layers up until the edges of the pictures are all smooth.
Let your job dry completely prior to it’s ready to utilize, display, or be distributed as a gift.
If you make use of inkjet-printed material on your tasks, allow the ink dry, then spray it with hairspray. It sets the ink and after that you can utilize the print. Make sure both are entirely dry prior to applying your medium.
– Make copies of photographs and also other initial documents to make use of in decoupage so you can save the initial. You can additionally take an image of them with your phone and after that publish it.
– Tear your photos rather than cutting them. Torn edges lay a little flatter as well as blend a bit much better.
– Take a picture to remember the positioning of your paper items. It’s easy to forget as soon as you remove them as well as start decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment before you commit. For rougher surface areas, the pictures should stick however will take a little bit longer to dry. If the surface is really smooth, consider roughing it up with a little sandpaper.